Friday, July 31, 2009

Advice on hoof supplements?

My mare has white hoofs on the back which tend to crack from the shoe nails. Has anyone used hoof supplements to improve hoof quality and has it worked? I'm really only interested in products available in the UK - and I'm not looking for answers that detail the alternative to shoes either.
Answers:
hi I'm in the UK and i use farriers formula,its in pellet form and you add it to your horses feed my farrier recommended it because my horse kept losing his shoes due to brittle feet.
it does work and 4 months on his shoes stay on his feet are no longer brittle,and they have become hard.
there is also a paint on liquid called keretex available fromyour saddler's this as well and this was recommended to me by my farrier as well,it did work and you paint it on twice a week and it hardens the hoof wall.
blue chip feed which is a supplement you add to your horses feed promotes healthy feet,and shiny coats and keeps the weight on a horse.
naf is another product but i found it was a cheap alternative and did not work well the same as biotin that was in a tub.
all of the products mentioned apart from blue chip which has to be ordered in can be found at your local feed store
The best preparation I have found is one called "Hoof Maker." I don't know if it's available in the UK, though.
Anything that has biotin and zinc as the main ingredients, and include methionine also, work well. Formula 4 Feet by EquiLife looks pretty good, but I do not have personal experience with it.
I also was wondering if you have tried moisturizing hoof dressings, and if it is only the 2 back feet that crack?
Good luck!
a friend has a horse with cushings and laminitus and she swears by formula for feet supplement to promote healthy horn growth, if you wanted something to paint on i use kevin bacon;s hoof dressing as my mare has very dry feet in summer www.kevinbacons.com hope this helps
both available in the uk
"HOOF MAKER"
When i got my first grade A show jumping pony billy,
i found his hoofs were really weak and crumbley so i went up to bruce steel and he recommended hoof maker it worked and now they are really strong and healthy it's as if he has a whole new lease of life!and yes it is avalible in the UK you can get it in Anaghmore saddlerey
good luck xx
wash em regualry n put effol on them everyday. or normal hoof oil seems 2 work!good luck! xx
I use a product called Hoof Flex to condition my horse's hooves (2 of the 4 are white)
I live in Canada, I don't know if its available in the UK
I use NAF hoof moist, use can get it in 'black and 'natural' (white) It works really well on my pony when her hooves crack, as it is when they dont get enough moisture in the summer when it is really hot. You just have to put it on every day, making sure that it gets into the cracks, with a hoof oil brush. After a few days the cracks start to go-- but don't stop putting it on, it only takes a day to get cracked again! (by the way you can het it from most tack shops in the UK)
I have the same problem with my daughter's pony. Biotin and farrier's formula usually do the trick , plus oil them above and below every couple of days when it's dry weather. So far he has kept his shoes on and hooves whole ( this time last year he was un shoeable for over a month due to crumbling.)
Get generic biotin from your friendly neighbour hood feed store, I got biotin from a guy on Ebay.
Hooflex works well. Also oats, is good for their hooves...Also a good tip is using Pam cooking spray on their hooves to keep them supple...Also helps keep the mud from sticking to the hooves..
Many people swear by Biotin as a supplement...there is one called Horseshoer's Secret (I believe) that is supposed to dramatically improve hoof strength. Here are a few links...
Feed supplement:
http://www.smartpakequine.com/productcla...
Topical Dressing:
http://www.smartpakequine.com/productcla...
I've used both of these from time to time and they both work really well. I think for your situation, I would start with the Topical Dressings and see if that helps. If you still think your horses feet are too dry and brittle, try the feed supplement.
i have used platinum performance that you order on line. it has made the biggest difference in my geldings feet and all around health. good stuff and not terribly expensive. good luck!
Well, 'Dengie' has a new product called Healthy Hooves which is just added to your horse's daily feed.
I haven't tried this yet as it is not available in the shops yet, however you can order it via your local agricultre shop etc.
I think it should be quite good as Dengie products do tend to be very reliable!
Hi im in the uk and use 'keratex' i use it once a week and its really good.
Feed biotin and use hoof oil every day.Also,ensure a proper diet for your horse,e.g.most horse nuts have all the required nutrition added and are easy to weigh and very edible to a horse.Also regular shoeing and not leaving them to grow long will help.
hi,
i have been using karatex hoof hardener, been using it a week and have noticed a difference already. just put it on the sole not frogs and half way up the walls but not on coronet band . good luck
I feed my horse Biotin, it is a supplement which improves the strength and condition of hooves and hair. It can be bought from feed merchants or larger tack shops under a variety of brand or generic names. It can take a few months to see any real improvement in the hooves as they grow slowly, but it is not costly (we get through about 4 tubs a year and each tub costs about 拢20) or difficult to use (unless your horse is an exceptionally fussy eater and will not take supplements) and well worth it in the long term.

No comments:

Post a Comment