Friday, July 31, 2009

Any advice?

I have issues controlling my nerves when I ride, and lately I have been riding a horse that I use to be comfortable on and we did great. Now she gets nervous and so do I, and we were eliminated at the last show after only 3 jumps on cross-country because I got so nervous I froze. I know she is a good horse and would never do anything wrong, and I don't know what started my nervousness on her. My instructor suggested me going back to the push-button horse I used to ride to gain my confidence back, but I feel like this is taking a step backwards. I love the horse I ride now, and it is only on jumping that we get nervous. Should I feel embarrased about going back to an easier horse, or do you have any tips on how my horse and I can work it through together?
Answers:
If you have to go back to your previous horse, it's nothing to be emabarrassed by. Sometimes taking a step backward is the best way to go, rather than trying to push yourself to do something you're uncomfortable with. I had a bad fall from my favorite horse, and after that day, I couldn't get the nerve to get back on her. I went back to riding the steadier horses I had been riding before, and it helped me out a lot. My mom claims that the fall set me back by years, but I have no doubt that, had I not taken a step back and allowed myself to become comfortable with myself, and the horse again, I would have been much worse off. However, if you want to work it out with the horse you're riding now, try going back to some basics. Do some flat work, and try doing some work over some ground poles. Then slowly add some small jumps one at a time, maybe try some beginner cross poles, and move up slowly back to where you were. If you start feeling nervous, take some deep breaths, and relax. If you have to, go back a step, but don't push yourself farther than what you're comfortable with, and don't rush it. Be patient, it will take time, no matter which way you choose to do it. Make sure to discuss your decision with your instructor, maybe she's got some more tips for you, but don't let anyone convince you to go with a decision that you're uncomfortable with.
Don't worry about being embarrassed. Do what feels most comfortable ... for safety's sake.
Try getting used to the horse
Sometimes you have to take a step back in order to progress any further. Listen to your instructor. When you are ready, you can go back to this horse.
when u get on her set in ur seat take a deep breath tell ur self and her that everything is fine.. i would not go bak a horse stay onn her but ride in a smaller area until u get ur confidence...
Listen to your instructor-- she has seen you ride and she knows you better than any of us do... remeber that sometimes you must take a few steps back in order to progress further... That is one of the many things you have to learn about riding-- a lot of times it's necessary to backtrack and go back to basics.
I get terrified during shows too... in fact I usually forget to breathe which is what makes my horse think that I'm nervous and it makes him nervous... we do dressage, but it's still jitters...
Now I go out and sing 'row row row your boat' over and over as we do our test... it makes SURE that you are breathing evenly (you can't sing if you aren't), and the rhythm will help calm you and your horse down... I just sing under my breath really quietly so only the two of us can hear, and it helps me a lot.
Taking a step backward isn't necessarily a bad thing, and it could improve your performance on this horse a lot as soon as you get back on her.
Really you have two options:
You can work with a steadier horse untill you get your confidence back up over the jumps.
OR
You can backtrack with the horse that you are riding now. Go back to just ground poles and build up from there.
But if you don't change something things will only get worse. This problem will not go away on its own, because when the jumps grow higher your confidence will drop. You've got to change the problem now so your not too far behind.
the horse is getting nerves because it can sense that you are nerves. you can try taking the horse out into a open field where both of you are comfortable. then just ride to have fun. this will give you and the horse a brake and help you relax. don't let jumping get to you, concentrate on the horse and let it do its job.
You have to do a risk assesment, would it do more damage to you and your horse to continue in this way? or will it benefit you to go back to a "riding school horse" to regain your confidence. I lost my confidence after a fall on my horse which like you maid him nervous and skittiy when i tried to ride, i benefited from taking a break and letting someone else ride him, then when i eventually when i felt more confiedent i got back on and went hacking with someone walking basically back to basics. I did't want to but i am glad i did. Pleases don't feel embarrased! You need to do what is best for the both you and your horse. not every man and his dog :)
im kind of in your situation, last year i rode a horse that was a brat, and this year he is "push button" and now i still have him, but i have another brat, lol, and he absolutely pushes me to the limit, and sometimes i feel like i just want to get off and quit and get on my easier horse, but i just stay on him and hes listening to me better. i get so nervous when hes being bad but i just think, okay settle down because he knows your nervous and hes taking advantage of you. i dont ride the easy horse unless i am successful with the hard one! so stick with it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment