Friday, July 31, 2009

Advice on hoof nippers...?

all of my horses go barefoot, and i trim their hooves myself "wild-mustang" style. i've always used nothing but rasp and hoof knife, but rasping down hard hoof wall takes several hours and is next to impossible during texas summer. i'm getting tired of the long hours spent on just one hoof, and i've decided i need some hoof nippers to make the job easier, i don't know why i never thought i needed them before!! i'm ready to invest in my first pair, and was wondering if there are any farriers or horse owners that would give me advice on a good brand? i need something sharp, effective, and easy for a woman to handle that lasts a long time. hopefully something under $100...
Answers:
G.E. Tools are excellant and remain sharp for a very long time but are little more pricey. Keep in mind any good nippers are an investment and can be retooled you don't need a new pair when they get dull.
You don't particularly want a short handled pair, the longer the handle the more leverage you have and that much less force is required in nipping thicker walls. If I can find my original pair I'll add the brand, they were decently priced and held up to full time work for quite a while.
Please don't be tricked into the "nippers" that are really no more than sharpened shoe pulls. Nippers will have about two inches of flat cutting surface that is very thin. The ones which are rounded and thicken immediatly wil be extremely hard to use. Immagine trying to push that metal into the wall and forcing it to seperate before it is cut through vesus a thin edge which slides into the cut and nips cleanly.
In general I do not like diamond products they are low priced but also lower quality. I have had decent luck with St. Croix and their prices. You would do well to research some different farrier tool sites and compare brands and prices. All in all check around there are Many good sites online.
go to http://www.nakedhoof.net excellent barefooting group! will be able to advise you on tools and other info.
I use Diamond brand hoof nippers. They are a little more expensive but will last forever. They also make a short handled version that is easier for woman to hold and use. I'm probably going to get a smaller pair to use myself as I have the normal sized ones and they are a little harder to wield especially if I want to use one hand holding the hoof.
For answers to any horse question, join this forum http://horselovers.ipbfree.com/index.php... registration is quick, free and easy but you must register to view the board and post.
I use Cooper Tools out of K V vet supply. You can go on line %26 get the catalog or order on line. I've been happy with their stuff. I've been doing mine for a long time. I was taught when I was 14 yrs old. My best friends dad taught us. I am 31yr now. I am a woman also. Good luck.
GE Nippers, Bellota Hoof Rasp, Hall Forge (Canada) hoof knives, Ruidoso top reading hoof gauge w/spring loaded arm cast aluminum, Equine Innovations Hoof jack, includes cradle and straight post, %26 2 70lb magnets.
Shop around. Country Supply had the Hoof Jack cheaper than anyone else. Go to Anvil Online Market Place there are lots of places to shop online there and compare prices.
If you buy a pair of GE nippers you will never be sorry. They will last you with what you do forever.
Standing your horses is a puddle of water for 20 minutes or so helps a great deal to soften thier hoofs. I run my watering trough over at a trickle and all of my horses have to get in the wet mud with all four feet to drink water. This greatly improves my ability to trim them easily. I am female and do almost all of my own shoeing and trimming
good for you for going barefoot. It is much more natural to our beloved horseys.hehe My friends does her horses too. She has four horses now and she actually has a new mustang haha she was having troubles but her horsey is better with foot handling now..
You can compare prices of nippers at Country Supply (http://www.horse.com ), Valley Vet Supply (http://www.valleyvet.com ), or State Line Tack. My husband and I also trim our own horses' hooves, and it saves us a ton of money. We purchased an inexpensive pair of nippers and have been very satisfied. As long as they're sharp, you'll love them. Especially if you've been using just a rasp and hoof knife! Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment