Friday, July 31, 2009

Another Horse?

I want another horse desperatly. We have two, one of them is mine and one is my moms. Mine is a blood bay mustang gelding. He is a wonderful horse. but hes getting too small for me and one day i would like to teach my nephews to ride him. I wont sell him ever. My moms is a morab gelding. He is fun to ride but hes not completely broke and i want a dead broke horse with spirit.
I asked my mom and she said no. Becuase She didnt know if we could afford one and time wise we would have to spend alot of time at the barn. I want to show her i should be able to have another horse, but i also want to try and convince my trainer to let me come out by walking or on my bike. Any ideas? Thanks guys. I was looking at a few horses and here they are:
http://www.equinehits.com/horses-for-sal...
http://www.equinehits.com/horses-for-sal...
http://www.equinehits.com/horses-for-sal...
http://www.equinehits.com/horses-for-sal...
Answers:
Well if you cant afford it, you should sell one of the ones you have and put money towwards a new one. Or train the morab.
I would go with the Morgan mare. Because they are normally wonderful horses! My mother has bred Morgan horses for over 35 yrs %26 they are good horses! Me %26 my 4 sisters %26 2 brothers learned on Morgans. They make good lesson horses!! They have a good tempers. Just my opinon.
you picked out some cuties, When u'r mom said cant afford it she probably meant the monthly expense, its not cheep. Maybe u can talk to your trainer about working some of it off, or get a part time job, IE: babysitting , to help mom with the expenses.
This way u are showing her your willing to take on more of the responsibilities and ready for another horse.
Good Luck i hope u get it.
I'm like you - I absolutely HATE having to ever sell one of my horses. In a perfect world you will find a way to help your mom decide that a third horse would be good for your family. I would think that if you saved up some money it would be a good start, and if you found a part time job you could help provide for your new horse's expenses.
BUT - that doesn't solve all your problems. If you wonderful other horse is just too small for you, and you buy another horse and don't ride him anymore, that isn't perfect either! Good kid's horses are hard to find, and in some ways its selfish to keep a wonderful horse and have no one use him, when another kid out there would love him and pour tons of attention on him.
And your first horse will be bored and lonely if you are busy all the time with the new horse. He will get out of shape and get chubby, unless you are very careful. He will get bored. In many ways, it isn't fair for a horse to be kept and not rode, because everyone needs a purpose in life! Unless of course he's so old that he needs to be retired, but if he's a young horse it probably isn't a huge kindness to keep him if you need another horse for yourself.
So I guess I'm suggesting that you consider selling your first horse when you buy a second one. Of course the choice will be up to you, and I'm sure you will always care for him. But there is still the fact that horses cost alot of money to maintain. He'll need good feed, hoof trims, vet bills, shots and worming. Can you afford a second horse if you keep the first?
I can say these things because I have to sell a horse if I buy another one. Every time I sell one of my old horses, I have a good cry and my heart is broken. But I am VERY careful who buys my horses, I ask millions of questions and find them wonderful homes. And then they have somone new to love and care for them, just as I have a new horse that used to belong to someone else that misses them.
That's how things go in my horse life, because I'm not rich. If I want to buy a new one, I have to sell one of the old ones.
Good luck on your tough decisions. I hope it works out for the best for you and your horse(s).
Okay, please do not take this critically, this is meant to be a positive observation..
Just a few days ago you threw a question out, asking if you should sell your horse to get another, "because he was to much horse for you", "under saddle", and "dragging you to the grass, etc." Now, he is "too small"? But you sill can't handle him? Each one of these horses you looked at, had the owner specify that they didn't think they would be a beginners horse because they "get up and go". And yes, sweet heart you sound like a beginner that wants to fill shoes that you are not ready to fill, and unfortunately you are going to get yourself hurt.
If you can not handle the horses you and your mom have, then what makes you think another would be any different? Unless of course, you get one bomb proof and dead broke.
This is why you have trainer to help you. I think your best bet (money and time wise) is just that! Talk to your trainer, and get assistance for you and the horses you already have. If your trainer can not help you with the ones you have, then simply find another trainer. Why not work with the ones that you already have a bond with, rather than start over?
I wish the best for you in your difficult descisions!
Also, about the ride your bike or walk to the barn question.If it isn't to far, thats a great idea, maybe you can have your mom and your trainer discuss it. If it is far, then is there any way you can get a ride from other boarders or students. Just an idea. Good Luck!
*********EDIT 07-03-07********
Little miss xxhorse.riderxx, if you are going to verbally attack me for giving you a suggestion (that you asked for), at least have the guts to do it out here in the open, and not in my email. Also, before you respond so imaturlly, you might want to read the whole answer thoroughly, other wise it makes you look very stupid.
If you don't like the answers, then don't ask the question!
Also, FYI- profanity is not exceptable behavior.not in this forum and not through this forum into my email!
Unless you are able to pay for the care and upkeep of another horse, your mom gets the final say. End of story.
Why is your horse getting too small? Unless you are exceptionally tall or heavy, a mustang will have no problem carrying you. When I was riding in Ireland, one of the trail leaders rode a Connemara pony that was just barely 14 hands and he had no problem at all carring a grown woman and keeping up (and ahead) of bigger horses. And mustangs are very tough, hardly horses. If you are a normal sized young woman, he will have no difficulty carrying you. Your mom is riding a morab which is not a tall horse either. Is it his size that is an issue, or are the horses you are looking at a bit fancier/flashier than yours? Be honest about why you want to get a new horse.
But if you really have your heart set on another horse and you mom doesn't want/can't pay for the care of more than two, then you have to make the choice about keeping this gelding that you say you don't ever want to sell, or selling him in order to buy another horse. It doesn't seem like you can have it both ways.
Both Paintgrl and Raise It were right on the money. Read their posts carefully, take their advice.
Why doesn't your trainer let you come out on your bike or walking? Or is it that you need to have your mom with you? If that is the case, the reason is they don't want to be responsible for you. The only possible way to change this is to show how adult you can be at the barn. Don't leave stuff lying around. If you see stuff lying around that isn't yours, pick it up. If you see something that needs to be done (manure pile left in the aisle way, water bucket needs filling) do it. If there is a lesson going on, be quiet and respectful of it. Do NOT get involved with any horse you don't have permission to.
If you show you can be a responsible young lady and a benefit to have around the barn, you will be invited to come out more often.
First off you cant have a dead broke horse and a spirit they dont ahve any spirit , when they are dead broke however you can get a well broke horse who may still have some spirit. Good luck
they are all pretty but i think you should get a gaited horse such as a missouri fox trotter if anyone has even ridden a horse that is gaited they should understand wheni say they are the best!!
Heres a website that has horses for sale the are in southern mn
http://www.rushriverfoxtrotters.com/...
Lease out your current horse, that way you can keep him and keep an eye on him, get finacial securety and make sure hes treated up to your standards and that you liek the person leasing him.

No comments:

Post a Comment