Friday, July 31, 2009

Advise me on a western saddle please?

I'm thinking of getting one but live in the Uk where advice is limited. I will use it for trail riding, and you might say, well, get a trail saddle, but I can't bear english general purpose saddles and I ride and have competed endurance in a dressage saddle because I ride long and I like the deep seat and leg position. English GP saddles are a compromise and not one thing or another, but are Western trail saddles designed especially for trail riding or for a 'bit of every job' like english GP? If I prefer english dressage saddles would I maybe prefer another western saddle to a trail saddle? And also I am looking for a treeless, can anyone recommend a brand? thanks. Sorry if this sounds a bit confused, I am confused.
Answers:
If you like dressage saddles I would definitely look into a barrel saddle. They have a high cantle and deep seat much like a dressage saddle does.
There are also all-purpose and trail saddles.
I've heard a lot of good things about Bob Marshall Treeless Saddles: http://treelesssaddle.com/
I like good ol western star saddles, with the shorter saddle horn! Make sure that it fits your butt comfortably and isn't to hard! A hard saddle ruins any trail ride! Also, Leather straps are sturdier than the nylon ones, nylon could break easier and you might be in for a ride with no gurt for your saddle lol
maybe look for a bareback pad instead. i have a Parelli bareback pad and i use it all the time. I may be exspensive but your pants stick to it like velcro and you wont fall off.just dont buy a cheap one becausethey will fall apart!
go to Parelli.com and go check them out.
In your position I would look at an Australian stock saddle.
These are much lighter than western and allow a very deep seat.
I used to use an ancient Barnsby military saddle for endurance and there are some modern endurance saddles that would probably suit your style of riding.
I've never used a treeless as they only suit lighter weight riders but googling "treeless saddle review UK" will bring up lots of links.
Is there any way you can haul your horse to a saddle retail place and try the saddles on him there?
oooooooo! get a barrel saddle! their really light!! so that much easier to put on ur horse!
I have a Bob Marshall treeless saddle and I love it %26 so does my horse. My girlfriend also used to ride in an outback saddle which seems like it may be a good compromise for you as well. If you know of anyone who has a treeless for you to borrow, you may want to give it a try. They are very comfortable for you %26 the horse %26 fit just about any type of conformation. They make them with and without saddle horns as well if that is a deterrent for you. They can be expensive, but you can get them used. b/c there is no tree the saddle seat sizing is a little different. Mine is a 14 1/2 %26 I ride in a 15 1/2 in a treed saddle. hope this helps!
you could try a circle Y flex tree. trail saddle. good luck
I agree with "sue," an Australian saddle sounds like what you'd be interested in.
I would try a barrel saddle with semi qh bars - that has the deepest seat of the western styles. The Flex Tree is something I stand by - I've never used a treeless but I have found that the Flex Tree has the same benefits with a smaller price tag.

No comments:

Post a Comment