Friday, July 31, 2009

Alternative girth extenders?

my horse's girth is 42" but it's about 4'' too short. I don't have 6 weeks to wait on a new girth. What are good english girth extenders?
Answers:
They sell girth extenders that are cheap and work really well.
As an alternative you could cut some stirrup leathers shorter and punch holes in them. But first check the stitching to make sure it's in good shape.
while you wait you can go to a tack store and get a cheap girth. it should do the job until you get a nicer one. girth extenders are hard to find, my horse uses a 52 inch girth with two girth extenders b/c hes a draft. it took me forever to find those...
You could go to your local tack shop or feed store. You might be able to borrow one from a friend.
heres a few you can choose from.
http://www.bestfriendequine.com/girthext...
I've never heard of the stirrup-leathers alternative but that's a really good one. Props to Driver for that one. My horse needs a 56" but that's partly because my saddle has abnormally short billets.
Stick with a well made brand, like Cashel. After all this is YOUR GIRTH!
You dont want some cheap leather or pleather extender that is going to break and leave you in the dirt.
Cashel are available at most tack stores or online at Dover.

No comments:

Post a Comment