Thursday, July 30, 2009

5'8" rider, 15.1hh horse?

I'm very interested in this horse ( http://dreamhorse.com/show_horse.php?for... ). The only problem is, I think he may be too small.
I don't want to waste anyones time by going there if it's obvious that the horse's too small for a person of my height.
So, I want to know, Is this horse too small for me?
Answers:
Try the horse. If height is your only objection, try the horse and ride him (after watching the owner ride and determining that he is safe to ride). If you feel "humpty dumpty" on him then don't buy him . if the horse seems to have trouble interpreting your aids because your leg is too long or seems to have trouble carrying you then pass on him. If not, then put him on you short list of future horse possibilities.
I looked at the dream horse ad, if the horse is $10,000, be sure that he horse is perfect for you...Absolutely and completely perfect and sleep on your decision at least 2 nights. Take a picture of you riding the horse and be sure that the overall impression that a judge would have is that you are equally matched.
I have had several short horses that had stocky athletic builds that took up my leg and I have had giants that felt like I had a tipsy 2x4 underneath of me. Your build matters too. A person that is short waisted and all leg may find a different sized horse better for them than a person who is mostly torso even though these two people are the exact same height.
Happy horse hunting
It depends, how much do you weigh. You may want to look into a slightly taller horse, though. Good Luck!
A horse cannot be too small for you. As long as your comfortable with it, it's fine. I have a 12.3 hh horse, and I normally ride 16hh at the age of only 11! I'm happy with my horse, and no horse can be too small, as I've already said!
Anymore questions, just email!
yes it all depends, at least give it a try if you really like it. I'm 5'5 and i have a 17 hand horse and i feel perfect on her.
i think you'd be more comfortable with a bigger horse. It comes down to personal preference, but usually for your height a bigger horse would be best
No, I'm 5'9" and while I ride some bigger horses between 16-17.2hh, I also ride 15hh TB's for polo. Its tradition too that many smaller adults ride ponies and before the 80's most horses that were riding horses did not get past 16.1 or 16.2hh. It depends on your weight but that horse seems quite sturdy. If you buy him, I hope you two are very happy together.
i ride shetland ponies and thats not too small. If he goes a little slow i kick him in the body with my spiked boots. He goes like a train then.
size shouldn't matter that much. i mean, i ride my friend's mini horse and i'm 5'1". of course that's only like once every 2 years or so but i ride my 16 hand thoroughbred and my 6'3" uncle rode him also. you should be fine with that horse. if a mini can run with me on him (not my choice, he did it) when i'm 5'1" than you can do whatever you want with a 15.1 horse when you're 5'8".
It depends on how much you weigh. You should be fine
I dont think he is to small. but he sure is exspensive!!
no we have a 16 hnd horse and i am 6ft 3in and i ride her so no
The horse-to-rider size goes first by the size of the horses barrel to your legs, then weight. If you have long legs, you may be more comfortable on a bigger horse, and vice versa if you have shorter legs. Weight is another consideration horses that are more stocky can carry more weight. If you are average or ever a bit overweight and the horse has reasonable confirmation, there is no reason he wouldnt be a good mount. Hope you reach a decision soon! : )
He looks like a nice horse, and i'm assuming that since you are looking at a 10,000 dollar jumper that you are interested in showing hunter/jumpers. If you are interested in showing, you may want to look at something bigger.
You may tech. not be too big for him, meaning you can ride him comfortably, and he can carry your weight, but at most shows (esp jumping) you will be considered too big for him. Most horses that show hunter/jumpers are bigger so that their stride covers more ground, and they can jump bigger fences. A 15.1 hand horse will be at a disadvantage to bigger horses because it's stride will most likely not be able to compete with a 16.2 hand TB. A shorter rider may be able to get away with showing this horse, but I think you might look a little silly on him as you will deffinitly be playing up his height.
If you just want this horse for every day riding, showing at local shows, etc. Then his height should be fine. I am 5'9 and I ride a 15 hand arab, and show successfully on him at arab shows, but if I take him to an open show then I sometimes get comments on him being too small (or me being "too tall for arabs" as one judge said... whatever)
Since you are looking at horses in the 10,000 dollar price range, you should be able to easily find something bigger. I would say if you want to be very competitive you would need something 16 hands, 15.3 at min. He is a really cute horse though, go try him out, bring a trainer with you, who knows maybe you will look fine on him.
You may fit on him, you may be too tall, it depends on how you're built. He looks like he's got a decent barrel, and both appies and arabs tend to be round. The only way to find out is to go try him.
Personally, I would pass on this horse because of his jumping form. He's knees are pointing down (though I know it's a small fence) and he looks like he's laying on his side slightly. I would think that for $10K you can find something with more talent in your area. Go try him if you are really interested, it may just be a bad pic of him jumping. If you click with him you're not wasting anyone's time (he's definately cute).
If you are willing to pay 10 grand, you better get a yard stick or something and make sure! Better yet, go see the horse. You should always do that before purchasing...
I agree with the others who say it depends what you want to do with the horse. His weight is listed at 800 lbs, so he's probably not very stocky. This horse would be fine if you want to do all around activities, but if you want to specialize in show hunters, the judges would probably prefer to see you on a taller horse. It's as much about appearance as it is ability.
probly not, if the horse really is how big they say. sometimes i have found people exagerate or just dont really know what 15 hands really is.
as long as you dint weigh howl lot and the horse is 3 or 4 years old at the least its fine

No comments:

Post a Comment