Wednesday, July 29, 2009

2007 Filly - general conformation needed?

I am interested in maybe purchasing this filly. I love the colouring but am not good at evaluating conformation and am asking for your help. She should mature to about 15.1 - 15.2, she will not be used for breeding, but will be used as my next riding horse. I do not show so she doesn't have to be show quality. Price $1000
I have posted 2 photos of her at my web site. These photos are not conformation shots just photos of her taken out in the field by the owner. The bottom photo is another foal that the farm has for sale. Thanks for your help.
http://www.mysciencesite.com/horses.html...
Answers:
I like the buckskin tobiano however, get straight on photos from front and rear to see how the bone structure is, toeing in or out, how do the hocks sit from the rear, straight, in or out? Someone said too straight in the hocks and I disagree with that. On another note, you only get basic structure on a weanling, it is said that the way they look on day 1 is how they will look as an adult, minus muscle and filling out, (obviously) and I haven't found one that does not fit into this category unless completely screwed up by humans in the growing process. Young horses change alot growing and they do a lot of it in the first year. The buckskin looks nice and in the past I would not hesitate at the $1,000 mark however, see if you can't get her cheaper... the market is soo bad and you can find youngsters for soo much less of the same quality. Other than that, if you really like her and are capable of raising her and can afford the price on what you want. well, go for it! I would consider her much more than a backyard horse (for lack of better description).
She is nice but a little straight through the hocks which is not great for confirmation but great for WP as it gives them that nice shuffle and lope. Slightly long pasterns but as you are not showing her, again not a big deal. Seems decent for the price. The only thing I'd suggest is that you have her vetted and plates done for OCD prior to purchase.
Both of them are very cute.the buckskin has kind of a thick neck and the bay has more upright pasterns, but either way, for just a pleasure horse, they would be fine. Very cute babies!
Good looking horse
Good luck
Email a photo and I'll place it on the website
We help animals
You can too
I love his colour! They both have a liyyle too straight hind legs...mostly in the hock area. They also have long, upright pasterns...this can contribute to lameness and weak legs butneither one of them seem to have any major faults...i love them both! Especially the first one! good luck with you choice!
Buckskin colt is nice looking. Pass on the bay. Neck is way to short, and back is way to long. Can already see the sway in the back and that is never going to get any better. Good Luck!
her pasterns seem al little too straight for me and her neck is rather thick and short. I would not worry about color but focus my attention on her conformation only. I would look at color later. The second filly is very nice looking. Her neck is not too short or fat and her head is proportional with her body. She has a nice sloping shoulder and a good butt. I would go with the second filly.
HAHAA!! Welcome to the world of horsemans opinions! I have seen some of the ugliest babies turn into swans and vice versa. You aren't going to know much until she grows up a little more anyway. If you have the time effort %26 patience to put into a baby it is a lot of fun. The bumps, bruises, bites and kick marks will fade over time! Having a long term relationship with your horse is priceless though!

No comments:

Post a Comment