Friday, July 31, 2009

Am i gonna forget?

i am 11 and have been horseback riding for 1 year in june(yes it pased) and i do western barrel but i have been punished and cant go for 2 months i go 1 time every week do you think i am goin to forget how to ride,not so muc ride but i am up to cantering and i am scared enough to do thatdo you think i wil get so scared that i will not canter for a while
Answers:
You will be fine when you return. I took a few months off from riding due to ankle surgery, and then again due to a serious illness, both times when I returned to riding I picked everything back up again quickly. You will feel a little "rusty" for a couple of rides, not quite as graceful or fluid with your horse, but it will come back in only a couple of rides. This may sound silly, but it really does work, if you have a few minutes every week sit in a comfy place, relax, and in your head imagine riding your favorite horse for a few minutes. Imagine all of the details you can. If you are working on the canter right now imagine riding the canter, focus on what it feels like, how you are sitting, how your body is moving. It will help you remember everything and get back on better than you imagined! Two months will pass quicker than you know, good luck when you get back, and have fun!
Edit: Just an addition, if you are into barrels do not let anyone tell you that you should not compete in it if you are nervous about cantering when you learn! I am sure you can do anything you set your mind to! At 11 years old you have a lot of time to learn and get some great experience! Live your dreams!
You wont forget.. I almost got thrown and if I had fell I could have died or been seriously injured.. My mom took me out of horse back riding for a few years and I've finally convinced her to let me go back.. I still remember everything from those lessons.
You will be just fine. It takes a while to get comfortable with cantering and your instructor will just start you over, so don't worry too much, okay?
You'll be fine, I've taken weeks off at a time and remembered everything when I went back
no! i dont ride my horse all winter(cuz it snows) and when i get on him its like i havent been skipped riding him Ever!
I have been off for as long as 14 months from riding, and although I often wondered during those long hiatuses if I would forget, the second I put my foot in the stirrup, it all comes back :)
you wont forget that soon. It may feel like forever b ut its not really that bad. Us old folk go years and years and then get back into horses and may only have to re lean a little but mostly re build muscles. SO missing a week or even a month will be ok.
You may come back feeling a little nervous. Or maybe, you can read some books and study up on barrel racing while you are grounded. That way when you come back, you'll be ready to go! Watch a video or two or find a rodeo on TV to watch that you can watch how the "big dogs" do it.
Good luck and bummer tha you are grounded, but, accept responsibility for what you did wrong, accept your punishment and maybe your mom, dad will shorten the punishment...just a thought...coming from a Mom.
if you do barrels, you shouldn't be scared to canter/loap or even gallop. if you are, then you shouldn't be doing barrels competitively, maybe just for fun at your barn. and to answer your question, if you are a good rider you will never forget. i had to quit poles, barrels, and roping for about half a year, when i got back on my horse it just came natural. good luck
well probably not but when i started riding i was really confident in canter but i got punished and could not go for 2 week and i started to fall behind and didn't wont to canter
so y you may want to tell your mum to go easy on the punishing
you never truely forget something, just some things take a lot longer to remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment