Thursday, July 30, 2009

4-H'ers read this please?

I need a huge favor, my son qualified for state in all 3 classes on my mule, halter, showmanship and trail. They will not allow him to show at state here in WY because he's a mule.
Other states, in fact all surrounding WY will allow mules, so we are going through the petitioning process, something new to me. I haven't ever done this before.
Could you tell me what state you are in and if mules are allowed at state 4-H and if so can they show in all classes?
I would very much appreciate it, as my son would. Feel free to email me privately also if there is other info you would like to include that you don't want to put to public. We appreciate your help, hes so bummed.
Heres his winning pic.
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/alb...
Answers:
That's disgusting to let him win all that way up and then say "mmm, sorry no!", shuld be ashamed of themselves and their policies. I'll call KY 4H tomorrow and see what their policy is and get back with you. The KY website says that there are mule classes but they are under livestock, not grouped in with horses. I'll make some calls and let you know! Let me know if there's anything else I can do to help like petitions etc.
I did 4H all through out my youth. There was a girl that showed a mule for many years she never placed well though, not because she had a mule, but because it was very badly behaved, and a terrible example of a mule. But anyway, she was allowed to do all the normal classes, with the exception on jumping. I can somewhat understand not allowing mules in jumping, because mules usually have so much natural jumping ability, but then agian, a jumping class isn't about how high you can jump, but how well you can do it...
That is ridiculous that they wont let your son show his mule! If he qualified, he should be able to compete along side the horses. There is no reason why he shouldnt be able to compete against horses, he must be a very good rider to be able to win over horse judges that usually have a biased against anything that is not a quarter horse.
I forgot to say that I am in Michigan. No mules from our county have gone to the state show, but a girl was showing a mule from another county at state a few years ago.
I would think that as 4-h is a nationwide thing that you should be able to find a central office to answer this question or better yet a webpage.
I can say that Pat PArelli won a bunch of stuff on a mule and they rewrote the laws after to make sure that ANY non horse was no allowed. I think it was in reining. Best of luck to your son.
I don't know positively about now, but back when I showed 4-H, I used to show against a girl that had a mule, at State. She was allowed to show in all of the classes including jumping. He was a great mule. Anyway, I'm in Arizona and I judged a qualifying 4-H show this year. There was nothing in the rule book, that I was given, about mules being disallowed. I don't know if someone could find some forgotten rule somewhere, though. Good luck! I think that he should be allowed to show at any level with your mule!
Thats sad that they wont let him show at state fair if he qualified for it. I'm in CA and when I was in 4-H and FFA they let mules show. It was neat to see them competing. Good Luck and I hope you are able to go to state with your mule. BTW your link to the pic doesnt work, maybe try to put it on again?
I live in Indiana and they allow it.
I was in 4-H for 8 years here in California. I qualified for state myself (but I didn't go as I had Equine speech and Equine demo and 4-H team judging competitions to do. Showing a horse on top of those three was too much stress for me with a older horse who was not used to a small box stall at extremly high heats by himself a lot every year etc).
To my understanding know our rule books, any Equine breed, cross breed or ancestor who rides in a 4-H qualifying state show, is in no doubt, able to compet in state wide competition.
We had 2 qualifying shows per year with state being held in August in Sacramento. A mule allowed to ride and place in qualifying shows, then it is 100% arguementable to compet in state qualifying shows for Nationals.
If no rules are made or given to competitors, either by their 4-H leaders or Board of Directors, it is in their fault and in your favor.
I was also part of the 4-H judging team as well. We judged drafts to mules/donkey's in California. To my knowledge, 4-H is usually a national wide running organization. It can be argumentable if majority of states agree.
I do wish the best.
If need to contact the 4-H I was in, I can get the details for you if you need them as a source for state of California itself. It has been a few years since I became a non-member. I know people's positions has changed, but I am sure I can contact someone who can give some sources if you need it. I was a member of Calloway 4-H in Bakersfield. I still have the newsletter come to my mailbox on my email addy from the State Competition. I can even forward you their email if you need it :)
Man I love your mules!
In Indiana, there is a seperate "mule and donkey" class. I don't know whether they allow mules to compete against horses in performance.
Where do you show your mules?

No comments:

Post a Comment