Friday, July 31, 2009

After Qs 1 & 2, how long will it for a horse's back to heal?

I hope you have read the previous two questions about Mystic, the stocky paint mare that refuses to trot while being independently ridden. Well, I'm pretty sure the answer is her saddle, as most people have said. What I see that how it doesn't fit is that the tree is too narrow and the back also needs stuffing. She is a WIDE horse. She basically would be a quarter horse since she doesn't have any natural spots (just a white spot on her butt that's a scar from when she was a foal and got stuck in a fence or something) just a abnormal blaze and three socks. Well anyway- if her back is the problem, that the English saddle is pinching her, then how long do you think it would take to heal and what could we personally do for her, even after the chiropractor is out.
Answers:
Depending on how much damage and soreness to the horse, I would back up the chiro with accupuncture.
When I totally obliterated my mules back (unknowingly, the saddle fitters were not versed in mules) he had 2 mths off with solid accupressure (no one did accupuncture at that time) and chiro work. I had walked him and trotted him to keep him in shape, but no weight. I would of drove him however, but this was prior to his driving training.
Go with how your horse is doing, ask the opinion of the chiro, healing comes faster with accupuncture and chiro together, trust me. I just had it done on my mule for a pinched nerve in his shoulder, he was usuable a week later. It was amazing.
edit-how does this horse move then as a western, where is her headset?
This horse needs to be taught to bend at the pole, and I have a suspicion that her head isn't doing that at western also.
Something is bothering this horse, whether it be saddle or lack of training on the bit, but definately I would have someone check her for soreness, which you can do by running your fingers down their back on both sides of the spine etc. However sometimes pain masks in other areas like hips and neck too.
Shes a pretty horse tho.
Looks more to me like the horse is unbalanced, not collected and above the bit. By putting thier head up like that, she's evading contact. It looks more like a rider/training issue than a problem with her back.
If there is a problem with the saddle, you can get a saddler to stretch it and remove or add stuffing. I've had it done myself.
My horse had a sore back when I first got her cause the old owners did not use a saddle that fit her. The vet gave us two weeks worth of pills called methocarbamol which helped, provided you can get your horse to take them (in the feed.) She was not ridden while taking them.
The option we ended up doing because my mare wouldn't eat the pills is steroid shots directly in the muscles in the back, about 5 on each side. After the shots, she got 3 days off and could then be ridden again.

No comments:

Post a Comment