Friday, July 31, 2009

Anatomy Exam Help...?

Does anyone know the name of the ligament that separates the jugular vein and the carotid artery in the proximal 1/3 of the neck? I have a exam on monday and I'm thinking they might as why we choose that site for IV catheters.I know there is a ligament that divides the two structures so there are less chances of accidental arterial puncture, but I can't find the name of it anywhere...Thanx
Answers:
I think its actually a muscle, not a ligament. It may be the sternocephalicus muscle, but i am not sure. Good luck on your exam.
Yes , yes, yes .. i know
yah, who doesnt know that!
im totally with you!
o_0
You can read this link. I cannot remember there ever being a ligament that divides the two structures in the neck. When inserting an Internal jugular vein catheter, I've never used a ligament as a landmark, so I'm not sure if you are asking the right question. Most people would put in a subclavian IV line, as in the insertion of a Central Line, from the subclavian access point. The Internal Jugular vein and the Common Carotid artery sits in a common sheath during it's passage in the neck, and only separates where the CCA bifurcates into the External and Internal carotid arteries. The link has a good picture, but I suggest you get out the Gray's Anatomy book or your Dissection manual. Anatomy has not changed much in the past 100 years. No new discoveries as everything has been documented. Only variations of the normal makes life interesting to an anatomist.

No comments:

Post a Comment