Wednesday, July 29, 2009

3 day eventers out there? cross country help!?

i need some advice about this cross country jump..its on this course and it goes way down hill and its a huge oxer log thing its prolly 2 feet wide and 3 feet tall. My horse likes 2 bolt down the hill and I cant steady him fast enough to make a good aproach and to make it withouut him popping it and me falling forward...i use a kimberwick bit win i ride in cross country and he just ignores it but he has a sensitive mouth so i cant use a stronger bit. how should i steady him down the hill? please help i did this at a schooling and theres a show coming up and i need some ideas on how to control it
Answers:
This is quite tricky as my with my horse i just give him constent half-halts and sit back on my seat, try talkig to him, i know it sounds stupid but it can work, just calmy tell him to relax ad calm down, also do't get tensed up and just forget that it is downhill and pretend that it is on a straight surface.
That's all i can think of really, hope it helps!
Good luck in the show! ;)
I used to sing around the cross country course, anything, I think last time it was jingle bells. Keeps the horse calm and listening to something else. I forget about once I finish.
Also half halts, deep seat action and remember to think about the landing and follow through, your horse will probably want to bolt after the jump too.
Also, try to practice these jumps before you get to the course, it will make you and the horse more confident.

No comments:

Post a Comment