Wednesday, July 29, 2009

2 questions...?

i'm curious to know...
1) what is the best/ur favorite brand of horse trailer (i.e. sundowner, exiss, featherlite, etc)? like is there a brand that tends to be better than others? {and i know it can depend on wat u want/like or w/e so please dont start telling me that...ALL I WANT IS A BRAND NAME PLEASE!} o and u have to tell me why u like it.
2) What do u think is the best kind of fencing for horses (i.e. wire, vinyl, electric, etc)? {and again, please just give me the kind..dont say "it depends" cuz i no it can depend...im just curious about what YOU think. and if u have trouble answering without saying "it depends" then just tell me what u use} and why?
thanks!
Answers:
First, theres alot of adults on this board, please type complete sentences since we du nt tlk lyke dis...
1) I like titans for steel and Cherokees and Harts for aluminum. Titans have a 5 yr warranty even if they don't honor it LOL. Looks good on paper I guess. Cherokees, I just like their build. Harts are good ones too.
2) I love electric fencing, we typically use high tensil electric. However, I have heard horror stories of horses getting ripped to shreds on it. I have owned both horses and mules and watched a horse flip over the fencing at a high rate of speed and was fine, not a cut. My question would be if the fencing was properly installed. At that horse wreck, the suspension piece broke and I had to reinstall that. Much more tolerable than a dead horse. My mules never test my fencing, if they aren't happy, they jump and leave. Thank God they are happy....
1) i like sundowners best- they last forever! horses can kick the crap out of others but these stand up for a really long time.
2) vinyl is the best- you can put electric on it too or just use it alone. wire alone can make the most horrifying injuries and isn't reliable in all conditions- wire fences can be easily torn to peices and then horses can become tangled in them.
1) I like Hawk trailers, Merhow (sp?) is also a good brand. I've never owned a Sundowner or a Featherlite, but I have heard good things about both of these as well. Brenderup is one brand of trailer I would strongly recomed against, they are super light weight, but even a slight movement of a horse in them makes them sway really badly. I've heard some really bad stories about these trailers, they are just too flimsy and light weight to be safe.
2) I like 3 rail wooden board fencing. It is sturdy, cheap and safe. I hate that kind of vinal fencing that is in one big roll that you tighten up between posts. If you get a horse caught in it, you have to take down the entire fence, and it is so hard to tighten it up agian. I like electric wire aswell, but I always combine it with wooden fence, it is kind of hard to see on its own, and I turn my horses out at night, I am always afriad they will not see, and get caught in it. I also don't like hot wire on its own because I have a lot of kids that come to my barn for lessons, I am always afraid they will accidently run into it, or try and grab it.
OK, this is MY opinion.
1. Properly engineered steel horse trailers are much stronger and more durable to the flex and stress caused by the road and are the safest. They have been on the market the longest and have a proven record. They do not crunch in like aluminum when in an accident. Trails West, Sundowner, and Hart are good companies. I use a open stock trailer for my horses because they can spread their feet and balance themselves. Some horses prefer to travel facing backward also, so this allows them to do this. I have owned many trailers in 40 years of horses, and this is my preference.
2. The white plastic fencing is safe for horses and looks nice. Horses will chew on wood when bored, and can break through triple wire or electric fencing, many times injuring themselves. I use the hog wire with plastic topping myself. You can go to http://www.fencingsolutions.com... to view it.
Good luck and weigh the options!
2. I think that a wooden fence or a fence with simle square cut will do fine.They are safer then most fences and more dependeble then electric.
1) Sundowner, or Double D trailers. Because I know people that have both and they are really nice and look good too!
2) I use electric tape, but I dont electrify it, and I staple it to wooden posts.
Good Luck!
*Barrel Racer*
1.) Cherokees and Harts work great. I just well... like them. Although all trailers work pretty good.
2.) Problably wood on the outside with electric fencing on the inside, that way if your horse gets shocked behind the eyes, it still can't get out. Plus, it looks nice.
1) I have researched alot of trailers and have found that Double D seems to be the best made for quality and money. Not only that but they are willing to work with you on delivery, custom design, and actually talk to you or answer your questions. Other companies tend to just tell you to contact a local dealer.
2) I dont like barbwire it can hurt the horse. But so can most any fence. I have some expensive PVC fence and it is ok but you have to pop the rails back in when the horses rub to hard on them. a Good diamond fence with a top rail is what I plan to put up to replace the barb wire. It is nice looking. Safe for the most part especially if you round your corners and will also help keep dogs out of the pastures.
I like the Cato trailers. They are made locally to me and are sound yet very light to pull.
As far as fencing I prefer wooden board fencing. Safe and easily fixed.
ifor williams
electric
The trailer...Uhmm... I had a sundowner and I liked it. I have heard really good things about featherlite. It depends what you have to pull it with too.
The fencing...I currently have vinyl coated wire. I like it but I prefer a wire mesh. Wire mesh is good because the horses can't climb it and neither can coyotes or stray dogs. I don't worry so much of these critters hurting my horses as I do running/spooking them. I used to work all day and this mesh fencing kept everything out as well as in, I have goats too. I didn't worry of a stray dog getting in and being too playful with my animals. I am self employed now and the coated high tensil is what I currently have. I have older horses so they respect any fence but my goats still get out and the dogs get in but I am home to supervise. The high tensil without coating is NOT recommended. Hot wire, if weeds touch it or for whatever reasons it shorts out then your horses are out.
PVC is expensive and pretty but when it breaks it can be dangerous. I like wood. If you use wood use a hard wood don't use pine. Pine is too soft and the horses make a mince meat out of it, unless you put hot wire on the top of it. But hot wire that I have always had always shorts out from time to time. You have to be really good at keeping any weeds and grass from touching it. If I had to do it again. I would opt for a good "horse" wire mesh 4' or 5' tall. To me that is the safest.
I used to have two big boarding stables and I have had horses for 25 years.
We have draft horses and they are heavy, so what works best for us is Boss of The Road trailers. They are heavy weight trailers. For lighter weight trailers I would prefer an aluminium Featherlite trailer. A lady hauled two of our horses from Kansas to Texas in it and it practically floats.
We have always used electric fencing and I really like it. When there are newborn colts, we don't have it plugged in, but when they get a little older we do. It is easy and it keeps the horses in. You can also move it easily, just put the fence posts twenty steps apart, put the wire in it, and then tighten it. It lasts for a long time and it can be moved as needed!

No comments:

Post a Comment