Thursday, July 30, 2009

4-H or Pony Club?

Which one would you say is better and why? Feel free to share stories and experiences. oh, and do you have to ride a pony to be in the pony club, or can you ride a horse? thanx =^_^=
Answers:
Great posts. The only thing I'd add is that if you're interested in eventing, the sport that includes dressage, cross-country and stadium jumping, Pony Club is your best bet. If you're interested in riding Western, Pony Club is not the right place.
And I agree with others who say the people make the clubs; if you can visit your local Pony Club chapter and your local 4-H chapter, you might get a better idea of which group you'd prefer to be in!
Good luck with your choice.
I don't know anything about "Pny Club" but I was in 4-H my whole life growing up and now my 2 kids are too.
4-H in my opinion is the best. There is so much opportunity to learn and it's not limited to one thing like just shows, just english, just gymkhana etc., and it's so much more then the riding aspect. You get experience in everything.
The best thing about 4-H to me is the things you lear other than horse stuff. You learn about teamwork, self esteem, communicatiom, responsibility, safety, and also participate in alot of community service and activity.
I couldn't be happier with what 4-H did for me and is now doing for my kids.
4-H, I was in it and I had a great time. See not only do you do arts and crafts if you sign up you can do things with animals. (Cows, horses, ect.) It was a lot of fun!
Generally, I would say Pony Club is better. Pony clubbers go to "A" rated shows and train and ride in the olympic disciplines of dressage, show jumping, and eventing. 4-H shows only in "4-H" shows. Also, the leaders tend to be busy with other 4-H activities rather than horse and pony exclusively. They just aren't as competitive, or as conscientious in teaching proper care of horses. I am a superintendent for another 4-H program and I work the fair day and night the entire week of the county fair. Most of the kids showing in 4-H are an embarrassment. They should go home and practice for two or three more years before they even think about going to a show. I know some pony clubbers and they are competitive at the state and national level and they are getting scholarships on their riding ability. They have non-horsey parents, so they got something out of Pony club. It's not just about showing. They go trail riding and camping, too.
You don't have to ride a pony in pony club. You can ride a horse.
Never was in the pony club, but I was in 4-H for 9 years. I absolutely loved it. I spent the whole week of fair being with my horse with no supervision. I know it's a little different now with the supervision. I don't think you can ride at all without adult supervision and you always have to have a helmet and a saddle on due to all the accidents we used to have as kids. It was great. Every year someone would fall off due to stupid stunts, such as running as fast as you can backwards on the horse. Once we had someone not have her saddle tight enough and it flipped over. We had fun shows all the time with fun games to do with your horse, such as egg and spoon, water glass pleasure, halter bareback class, keyhole race (which I proudly was dumped off during once), boot race and so many others. We had drill team practice every morning during fair, and we were the grand finale show to finalize the fair. During the year we sometimes had clinics to help us in caring for our horses. We would also have clinics to help us train them. We would also have team penning clinics to add some rodeo in our lives and our horse's lives. I had such a great time, I can't wait until my daughter is 9 so she can start in 4-H.
I am in 4-H and thats probably why i think its better but i do know someone who is in pony club. To me it seems like 4-H is less stressful and is more versatile you can do jumping, english, western, showmanship, driving, trail, ground training, and dressage.
In Pony Club you have to have acsess to a horse...so that means bording/leasing one.or owning one...it's a fun thing...jumping, Pony Club Rallys.Championships every 4 years in Lexington.Really nice
4-H you have more possabilities...goats,cows.... of things to do along with horses...If you are more of a farm person i'd go with 4-H
My friend is in 4-H and Pony Club...(she owns 4 horses though)
Pony Club! First of all, "Pony Club" is just a name. You can ride both horses and ponies! In my opinion, it is a lot more focused on your riding. And everyone rides english, so you can always participate. The instructors are all qualified as previous members of Pony Club. You also get to learn horse knowledge. And as you progress with both knowledge and riding skills, you can get "rated" and move up levels. And summer camps is so fun! So are rallys! You also get opotunities to meet famous riders, like at the Rolex there is a tent especially for pony clubbers! There are a lot more fun activities, too. Plus you get to learn different style of riding, like games, pololacrosse, vaulting, and eventing, too name a few! Pony Club is the best!
What's to stop you from doing both? My daughter did and had a great time doing it. Her gelding was 16 hh and was in both Pony Club (obviously not just for 'ponies' %26lt;g>) and 4-H and went english and western plus she trail rode also on him - she had a ball doing it all. We went all over the state of WA and enjoyed every minute of it. I don't think that either one is actually better than the other. It's more the actual people that make up the groups you're involved in and we were lucky to be part of two very active and wonderful groups of people who enjoyed each other and their horses and whose focus was about the girls having fun and learning rather than about ribbons and winning. Of course it's fun to win - but that shouldn't be the only thing that drives your club!! Join each one - see which one suits you best - or stay in both. You never know - it might be fun to be in each one!!
My son is going to switch to pony club. I can let you know more after we do.
He did 4-H this year for the first time, and the politics were un freaking real. What a nightmare. We have mules, my son doesn't want a horse, he was raised with his mules. We show mules and a horse doesn't fit into anything we do, it would just be pointless for us to own one. (Nothing against horses) Point blank.
He wins grand champ in 2 classes and reserve grand in 1 with my mule. They will not let him show at state due to it being a mule and no room for discussion.
He will show his livestock next year, goat and pig, but as far as mules, we just backed out of it.
Maybe it would be less political if it were just horses, but even horse ppl are complaining here too.
Try them, see what you think etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment