Friday, July 31, 2009

Amish communities & draft horses?!?

I am in Kentucky, and have noticed while searching for a draft horse to buy, most come from Amish communities. Is anyone here from an Amish community, and aware of people that are selling draft horses? Please help! I know there arent many amish communities around Kentucky, but I am willing to travel!
Answers:
http://www.lancasterfarming.com/classifi...
Check the ads at this link. This newspaper is in PA Dutch country.
I'm not sure if there are Amish in Kentucky, but if you find them buy one of their drafts--I own a Percheron that was an Amish plow horse and he's amazing. They're usually calm, well-broke, and gentle.
But here's a site from a woman here in AZ--she deals just with the Amish, and I bought my horse from her: www.firstdraftfarms.com
Uhhh - an Amish person wouldn't be on Answers. They don't do technology of any kind (hence the reason for the plow horses). I know that Disneyland and DisneyWorld purchase their horses from Amish Farms (to pull the carts in Disneyland's and DisneyWorld's main streets). I would try getting a hold of someone living near an Amish community and asking them to be a go-between or, Google Amish Horses and see what you find. Or call Circle D Stables. Circle D is DisneyLand's Stable. The barn / horse master is really nice. I think his name is Steve (?) Anyway, DisneyLand's main hotel can give you Circle D's number. Also Disneyland sells their horses to the public after 5 years of service. (The animals are usually about 7-10 years.) There is a waiting list, but those are awesome horses! Good Luck
There are MANY drafts for sale and draft cross that are not amish. Do you want a particular breed? Check with that registry. Here is a site and i even pulled up the KY page for you http://www.draftsforsale.com/search/inde...
I am about 4 hours from you. My neighbors are Old Order Amish and the man next door trains as a profession. He is always getting horses in that people intend to sell, including drafts.
He had a gorgeous Percheron team working the other day, a couple of weeks ago. I think they were priced at around $1800 for the pair? You can e me at cnsdubie@yahoo if you'd like me to check around.
I live 20 mins from louisville and we get alot of Mennonite people coming to our store, Theres some in the Hardinsburg area, some in sonora area, or by hopkinsville, im sure there are many many others out there too, good luck, as for amish, I have no clue, if they were amish they wouldnt be coming in our store and buying BBQ, good luck!
Find people in your area who drive horses, and ask them if they know of any Amish communities. Amish-broke horses are fantastic and a lot of driving people buy them, so that would be the first place I'd look.

No comments:

Post a Comment