Friday, July 31, 2009

Allergic reaction to Bronco fly spray?

I dont know if this a coincidence or not, but i've only applied Bronco fly spray to my 12 y/o QH mare twice. After each time she bobs her head uncontrollably. I dont spray it in her eyes or ears or even near her face. After I rinse her off after a couple days of her bobbing her head she seems to stop. It seems to me she might be having a reaction to this particular fly spray, but not sure. I have applied Endure fly spray on her and she seems to be fine with it. What do you all think?
She doesnt develop hives or anything. The head bobbing is the only symptom.
Answers:
Well, the fact that she simply "bobs her head" doesn't really say much about her having a "reaction". It is possible that she doesn't like the smell of the fly spray and that is why she does this. I have a show mare who was FINE with everything except this one brand of "shine" (applied to the mouths and eyes of Arabs), and when I would go to put that on her face, she would throw her head and act as though she hated it. She never developed any hives and the stuff would be wiped off right after she came out of the ring, so I didn't let it bother either of us.
I've used Bronco fly spray for years on all my horses, and it's never been a problem. However, if you feel that for some reason your horse doesn't like this product you should discontinue its use. Good luck.
If that is the only brand she is having that reaction with, then she is most likely trying to tell you something. Does she roll after application of Bronco and not others?
I tried bronco, didnt cause any skin problms, neither did it keep any flies off. I would stick with Endure. Maybe a lot higher in price, but it has skin conditioners in it, and you have to use alot less.
She might not like the smell. I use Bronco fly spray %26 my horse is fine with it.
I would figure she doesn't like the smell.
Stick with the endure - its much better anyway!
I had a horse allergic to flies - Endure and Bite Free were all that worked

No comments:

Post a Comment