Monday, May 24, 2010

Are suspension problems hereditary in Tennessee Walking horses? And do you recognize this horse at all?

My TWH gelding's pasterns in his back legs are very low to the ground.
Here are pictures of what I'm talking about:
http://i10.tinypic.com/4m041g4.jpg...
http://i7.tinypic.com/4pcj28l.jpg...
What I'm wondering is if this can be hereditary, or could it had happened perhaps from him being worked too much or at a young age? He also is pretty stiff, but I think that is because he has Lyme.
I bought Chance from a horse-dealer type person, and Chance was in bad shape. He was about 200 lbs under-wieght, and had worms. I don't know anything about C's past, and if anyone recognizes him, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let me know. I am dying to find out anything about his past. And any suggestions on how to have more people see about him would be appreciated. Oh, and by the way, C is doing great now. He is healthy and happy.
Here is a picture of him that I recently took after he got a bath:
http://i19.tinypic.com/4mn63hj.jpg...
http://i11.tinypic.com/4lysco0.jpg...
Thank you!
Answers:
To me, it appears as a suspensory ligament injury. I have seen wayyyyy worse than that however, his appears mild.
I have seen injuries like that on a Standardbred race horse and then a QH mare, but they were much more severe and the horse was rendered unuseable. The standardbred could be driven for 10min/day only.
I don't think its heriditary and could be caused from just having weak ligaments.
To not make it worse, he is light riding only, no loping, jumping, going up and down steep hills etc.
I would have a vet tell you exactly what his limits are however. Good luck to you and hoping for a good outcome!
Soring is usually a front end tactic not a hind feet one.
Those horses are bred horribly, and I would bet they were from that. They are also worked very early, so I doubt that it helped his bad legs.
I'm a huge TWH fan, I own them, ride them, they are my breed of choice. The answer above is right...soring is usually done in the front for lift...but at the same time, there is a strong possibility he may have been sored at some time or had artificial things done to get his rear to push. The fact is, it's the sad and tragic history of too many TWH. That is a huge stigma on our breed, but certainly not indicative of us all or even the breed itself. There are many of us, I'd like to believe a growing majority, who are of the mind that the horse should move right naturally, without artificial equipment or treatments.
From your pics, I don't think his hair is "wavy" in the same way wiki is referring. Once you've seen it, you know it. Think wet, permanent wave. This is a by-product of chemical soring. It's actually more indicative of recent soring rather than historic.
DSLD is a suspensory ligament disorder. People call it the "Peruvian Disease" or disorder because it was first noticed in Peruvian Pasos. Call it that in front of an avid Peruvian fan and you'll likely get a long, hot response. It's not a fair statement, it is also found in other gaited breeds as well as track horses. I have two related Peruvians. One has sloping pasterns so long that his hocks hit the ground at a walk. He is pasture art. The other is a fine ride, no indication of any problems.
It's causes are speculative, some believe there is a genetic predisposition (and there certainly is to the traits that seem to lend themselves to the disorder, however, not every horse with long pasterns develops DSLD) others believe it is performance/use related.
Here's a website that can give you info on DSLD. I'll get off my soapbox now. Chance is lucky to have you. Work with your vet, there are treatments available to lengthen Chance's serviceable years and most importantly, his comfort.
www.horseshoes.com/anatomy/esa...
yes it is. Tennessee walkers are known for suspension problems. My first horse that I rode seriously was a TW/QH cross and her back legs looked exactly like his. she was able to have a very full life though despite her confirmation issues. she was steadily ridden and used for lessons until she was about 25, after that she developed really bad arthritis in her fetlocks and her owner put her down when she was about 28-29 because of her discomfort.
This is something I typically see in Tennessee walkers.
It provides for the gait that they put out.
It allows for a smoother more forward gait.
Horse with long deep pasterns usually have a more comfortable feel to the ride, but can in the late future end up with some arthritis.
I would just suggest no crazy stuff with him.
Good Luck!
I think its just a Tennese walkers build but have checked by a farrier and ask him or her BUT HE IS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO PRETTY !
Beautiful boy, glad you found him before his situation ended badly. Anyway, it appears that he has DSLD...check out this info http://www.horseshoes.com/anatomy/esad/i...
Also, do a search on DSLD(Degenerative Suspensory Ligament Desmitis). Some horses can be born with it, I have heard it called "coon footed" before. And some horses develop this over time from being overworked. Do some research and consult with your vet about what you can do to keep him sound and feeling good. Some corrective shoeing may help him...talk to your vet and farrier. Good luck with him.
Looks as though you have some good answers here. I have tennessee walkers and I ride, train, show, and breed them, as well as shoe them. All of mine are pretty much the same way It has alot to do with the way you set the horses foot during your farrier work. It has alot to do with the farrier also. If your farrier is not used to TWH's then this could be your trouble. He actually looks like he has had a keg trim which is usually a more of quarter horse cut. (Squared Off) Walkers move differently than quarters, He needs to be lowered in the toe and left with more of a heel, also leave more toe on his foot. Let it grow out and don't trim back just trim down if you know what I mean. The way his rear foot looks I would guess he is pacey, and slightly if not heavily choppy in his gait. Let his heel grow which will sit him up more in the back end. Soreing can be on the back feet too. There are alot of trainer that will get a horse with good front end action but will not get under himself in the rear or will not "squat" in the rear or does not have the reach they might want in the rear. They leave the front alone and start working on the rear, ie: chains, burns, weight, etc... I do not do this to my horses they do not get any of this the way I see it is if my horse is going to carry pads then they will do it naturally. I am not going to "MAKE" my horses do anything they don't do comfortably to begin with. But anyway I hope this helps you He is pretty by the way Good Luck

No comments:

Post a Comment