Saturday, May 22, 2010

Anyone have pointers for a first time dressage rider?

I've been showing my mare in hunter classes and have grown tired of competitors who constantly cut me off, box me in, and detract from my horse and her wonderful skills. Lately I've been looking into dressage and it seems like a perfect fit for my horse, since I've already trained her to do most of the stuff required.
Having never shown in this discipline before, I would really appreciate any tips on apparel (does it all have to be black/navy and white?), additional training tips, and on patterns for a training level test. Is there a website that would be good to check out and provide patterns to practice with?
Answers:
Everyone's been spot-on with answers so far, so I'll just chip in this little bit.
Its not just about the horse being trained. Yes, Dressage is about the horse excuting the movements well.
BUT ultimately the horse cannot excecute the movements well unless the rider is trained to ask for them well and ride them through well.
With this in mind, considering you're coming from the hunter world, I advise you to completely 100% to get training from a professional instructor. You are obviously a compitant rider to tolerate the hunter world (lol!) but you need to completely change your position to ride dressage. It is entirely a different way of using your body on the horse. You will also have to learn how to use your hands and legs a bit differently, too!!
Getting lessons to fix your position is ideal!! In the process you'll notice that the training you've put into your horse for the 'patterns' (which we call movements) will be more effective b/c you are riding them the way they are designed.
After all, anyone can ride diagonals and circles, but it takes training and technique to ride them and get 9's on your test! :-D That isn't just the horse doing the 'patterns.' Its about you getting your position so right-on that the movements come out fluidly and perfectly and in one harmonious unit!!
Lessons with a dressage instructor will help you immensely!! You'll do great in the show ring. Just get some assistance fixing your position and your movements first. :-D You'll love it.
white oxford shirt(i suggest sleevless), overcoat has to be what they say conservative color so navy or black or gray, full lenght boots(not half chaps...ect.), pants do have to be white, and gloves can either be white or black. serpentines, circles, figure eights, things like that help a TON. they are the base of dressage you will do the forever they just get more fun.
hope this helps a little
ALL patterns or tests as they are called are standard.USDF, the governing organization for our sport,standardizes the tests and rules for each level.Also check out your local GMO - Group member organization - For New England - Its NEDA.org %26 theres smaller localized groups like Heritage.They generally are friendly and willing to help with newbies.Just becareful of the Dressage Queens !!
You should be OK performing a training level test - but be aware, its not JUST the movements - its how they are done,with regards to the training scale.
Go to a couple of local shows and clinics.If you truly want this to be a positive experience,take a few lessons before signing up for a show.Its not as easy as it looks!! But dont get frustrated - youll get there :)
I have a thoroughbred mare who I bought as my hunter - she had quite a few things to say about that career choice! Dressage made her and I better partners overall.
Good luck to you both !
When I started in dressage, I found a barn stable that gave lessons in dressage and boarded my horse there for lessons. I learned the ropes at this place and was able to go into the ring knowing what I needed to do and with the bonus of a support group. I feel this is the best route to go. On your own, start with the USDF [United States Dressage Federation] site and go from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment