Saturday, May 22, 2010

Anyone have a draft horse for sell or know of anyone that is selling one??

I am located in the Horse Capital of the world!! (Lexington, KY) and I am wanting a draft horse. You'd think it being the horse capital of the world, I could find a horse I was interested in, but mostly all that is here is thoroughbreds, saddlebreds, and more hot blooded showy horses. I just want a young, laid back, GIANT horse. Male or female, preferably gelded.
Mostly interested in Belgians or Clydesdales. I am very interested in the rescues, and am willing to travel. Please let me know!
Answers:
Belgians are the breed of choice in the Amish community I live among.
I'd look around KY for an Amish community.
Check YahooGroups for a rescue/draft group and join up.
Drafts are hard to place rescues...but what's not to love about a gentle giant? A couple we ride with uses a Belgian on the trail. What a big sweetie.
If you can travel here is a great lady! I buy from her and couldn't be happier. She honestly represents all of her animals and tells you all about their history. She buys them from the Amish, drives about 30 hours every few months just to hand-pick her horses. They are calm, and most drive and ride, and she has a few young sport prospects as well. Her facilities are clean, and she has good vet care and farrier care (we use the same farrier too).
I bought lovely St. Nik, and am soon hoping to buy another--possibly a cross. I do like the red roan Rodney. Jenny's family just went to get another load, and should be coming back with them soon. I've known her for years, and boy does she know drafts!
www.firstdraftfarms.com
or
www.rideadraft.com
You can also adopt a PMU horse, many of them are Belgian drafts. I would suggest getting a good trainer, because most are not broke and can be dangerous when not handled properly. They would be better for someone with training experience.
Good luck with your gentle giant--they're amazing animals!
Eh, quit the predicament here. Everyone is enamored with hotheads these days... =(
You can do a search on
dreamhorse.com
equine.com
equinehits.com
There are tons of drafts out there, especially on the internet..
http://dreamhorse.com/show_horse.php?for...
http://equine.com/horses/search_results.
See? I found you some! Unfortunately, the majority is wayy up north from you. Hope I helped and happy hunting!
Go rescue one!! The Pmu %26 gentle giants, there are a few more, so go look on line!
you can go to the website www.equinehits.com and look to the far left at where it says 'advanced horse search' click it then put in your search criteria. i always look at this site for horses, i love it..

No comments:

Post a Comment