Saturday, May 22, 2010

Any tips for first time English riders?

Ive been riding western for 11 months now and Im going to be starting english next lesson. are there any tips you can give me so I can be prepared to ride??
Answers:
Well, an english saddle doesn't have as much support in the back or the front of the saddle. When you ride in Western you don't really have to post and in an English saddle you do. You have to use alot of your leg muscles when you post in english. Since, this would be your first time riding english, i would be prepared to use alot more of your muscles. When first when you start to trot in engilsh after a while it of posting your legs will burn and when your doing 2point your legs will bur., Also when your troting you might try to hold on to something but you will have to get used to not having anyhting there and it will help ALOT if you have really good balance. You might have a bit of a problem with the reins becuase it is a totally different way that you have to hold the reins, you have to use both hands in stead of just one. It helps alot to always keep your heals downs. I had some what of a problem with doing that because my heals would just go up and i wouldn't even realise it, my instructer always had to tell me every 5 seconds to put my heals down. After a while hopefully you'll get used to an english saddle.
Good Luck!! : )Remember heals down!
English is very different. I learned English first, Western later. I think Western would have been easier to learn first.
The commands are very different, in some cases, opposite. Be sure that your horse is schooled for English.
Enjoy!
Well, don't try to hold onto the horn if that's what you mean (LOL, there isn't a horn!)
Just listen to what she has to say. It's not that different, I do both. It just has somewhat of a different feel and is used for different things... but if you just use it for fun you'll hardley notice the difference.
Yes, good balance. Sit up straight, ear, elbow, calf of leg, and heel should all be in alignment.
Ball of foot rests across iron with heels lower than ball of foot. Feel the rhythm of the horse at each gait and learn to judge where each leg of the horse is. This will help you when you learn to post. You will also learn to change diaginals. It's fun. I learned to ride English first and Western was a breeze. Enjoy.
Don't get frustrated. You will have a different feel in an english saddle. My daughter and husband both ride english and say they have better contact with the horse riding english. You will use different muscles, so check out some of the centered riding books. I think George Morris has one and they are very insightful.
stay with western,,, english riders wear dorky strech pants! just kidding.i would find a english trainer to help you
keep your heels down and never look at the ground or at the horse. this will help you get balanced. always keep contact with the reins and dont slouch. if you lose your balance hold the mane, not the saddle. always look where you are going and most important of all, have fun!
Hey,I used to ride english when the horse I rode didn't ride western but then I got a new horse and I'm back to western but some english tips are.
Make sure you sit up straight always, heels down in the sturrups--but not too much--, be sure to learn to correctly post AND sit your trot. It can be difficult to sit your trot in english if you're not used to it but work on it! Also, remember that your legs may get a bit sore at first because your stirrups will be shorter and you won't be used to it so I would suggest going for a short/small jog before and after you're done and starting english riding.Until you get used to it anyways.
Well I rode western for 10 years, and I still do, before I started English riding lessons. My biggest challenge was with the reins. I always wanted to bring my hand over the horses neck to neck rein but English schooled horses don't rein like that. In English riding you should try to never cross your hand over the horses neck. Other than that it's pretty much the same except for the saddle. Also you must learn to post the trot instead of sit it, but that's relatively easy. Make sure you come down easy when you post though because you don't want to be pounding on your horses back. Like everyone has said, balance is key then again it is for western riding too. Definitely try not to get upset even though you probably will get a little frustrated, it's not an easy switch. Also a lot of practice will help immensely. Most of all, have fun and stay cool. Good luck!
an easy way to make sure your lower legs are back and your heels down is to stand up in the saddle as if you are about to jump. It really helps me before I enter the arena in an equitation class.

No comments:

Post a Comment