Saturday, May 22, 2010

Anyone ever tried Dover's Circuit Pro? Does it place your leg in the correct position?

I saw the other question about this saddle, but no one answered this aspect. I was looking at it, and it looks like it may put your leg a little forward. Anyone have any problems with this? How about balance, especially over jumps? Thanks!
Answers:
It depends on how well you fit in the saddle and what kind of jumping you are doing. It has similar leg fit to saddles like the Pessoa A/O. The circuit pro is made for hunter-jumpers so if it fits you correctly it should place you in a good half seat position over the fences.
If the flap is too short for your leg this is not a good saddle for you. There is no flap length option on the Dover saddles so if you have long legs this saddle is not for you.
I have a saddle review site listed below...
I have the Dover Circuit Close Contact, and it has the same knee and thigh blocks as the other Circuit saddles...I LOVE this saddle!! I've been through 4 saddles searching for one where I could find the "spot" easily (I like riding in a more forward position without having the saddle actually push me forward) but that would still allow me to sit back comfortably when necessary. This saddle rules on both counts. I've never had a problem with the blocks on the flaps, either-I find they place my legs in exactly the right position and add security over big fences. None of my trainers has ever had negative comments on my leg position in this saddle, either. I absolutely love this saddle, and would not change it for any other. Again-mine is the Close Contact-the balance might be slightly difference from that of the Pro, and my riding style and preferences are probably different from yours, too. Looking at the photo on their website, the flap on the Pro seems very similar, if not identical, to that on the Close Contact. Dover does offer test rides on the Pro, though. If you have any doubts, why not give it a try and see for yourself? It's a great way to see if the saddle is for you, because you get to ride in it before making an investment. All you have to pay for the test ride is shipping-anything extra is refunded to you after you return the saddle. :)
I've ridden in my friend's Circuit Pro whenever I work her equitation horse. It's a solid saddle. No saddle can put your leg in the right position, though, that's the job of your own muscles. The Circuit Pro is a pretty decent close contact saddle. The flaps are forward cut, which is great over fences. It's designed to be used primarily for jumping, and so when you ride in it you need to use shorter stirrups. This will bring your knee forward, closing the angle of your leg. Your lower leg will still be underneath you, though, or it should be assuming you can hold yourself in a proper position. The more forward flaps are great over fences, they help support your leg when you're in your two-point. But no saddle can mask poor equitation, so remember that.
As far as saddles go, the Circuit Pro is alright, but not my favorite. In that price range, I prefer the Collegiate Diploma and anything by HDR. If you're willing to spend a little more, the Pessoa saddles are very nice and very well-made, and the Bates Caprilli and Elevation are both in a class of their own. The Bates saddles have very forward flaps (they make the Circuit Pro look average), so they're best for jumping higher fences (anything over 4'). I prefer the Bates saddles whenever the jumps get big, as they really do accommodate your position over those bigger fences.

No comments:

Post a Comment