Monday, May 24, 2010

Are Paso's the horse their cracked up to be?

I've seen em but never rode one. Supposed to have the smoothest gait in the world, sure footed like a mule in rough terrain %26 endurence similar to Arabians. The ones I've seen are certainly beautiful looking animals to say the least! Seems that they command a FAIR price when compared to Quarters, Appy's etc. I would take this as they are what their cracked up to be?
Answers:
Paso Finos and Peruvian Pasos have lovely gaits (although each breed is gaited differently) that are oh so smooth to ride. A horse that is properly trained is a joy to ride. They are spirited, but are generally easy to handle. I bought a Paso Fino for my mom to ride because of her back problems, and she is thrilled with the mare. The mare will go all day over rough terrain with no problems at all. Take care to purchase a Paso from a good breeder who is careful about bloodlines and concentrates on gait and temperament. You don't need a showhorse gait for a trail horse, but you don't want one that falls out of the gait, either. There's nothing worse to ride than a gaited horse that doesn't hold his gait.
If you're considering one, go to a farm and ask to ride one. You'll be hooked!
Well, first of all, not all Pasos are the same.
My experience is with Peruvian Pasos, and I have ridden several now, for long, difficult mountain trail rides with steep climbs and descents, rugged, rocky terrain and many obstacles. I'm always amazed at the smooth, surefootedness of these horses.
Even the ones well over 20 years old have great stamina and tremendous healthy bare hooves with regular natural barefoot trimming. It's a thrilling delight when they burst into an all-out sobreandando (fast lateral running walk) across open flat meadows, and I fully trust them to carefully pick the way down steep boulder slides and over wooden foot bridges. Their hooves never show any signs of damage, even after all-day rides on rough granite rocks, and I've never had them slip or stumble.
I've never ridden anything even remotely as smooth! They're heavenly!
If I didn't already have 3 horses that I love and am committed to, I'd get Peruvian Pasos in a heartbeat! My strong warmblood horses are nowhere near as smooth or surefooted, but I love them, so I will have to be content to ride my friend's Pasos whenever I get the chance.
I don't know any trailriding ones personally, so can't answer that part. I do know the people that have them, love them. I meet up with some at the breed demo's I do with my mules and they seem like neat horses.
I think they are on the energetic side, some at the show are a little unruly, but not sure if thats the breed standard or not.
Anything gaited is higher, even in mules. The older the population, the more smooth ride wanted. I rode one once and it was too weird for me personally and I didn't think it was any smoother than my mules.
All I know is that I rode one of my buddies, you could drink coffe from a cup while riding it bareback!
I've ridden gaited saddlebreds, TN Walkers and a lot of other breeds. But some years ago was asked to get on a Peruvian Paso 3 year old green broke colt who'd been broken with - well just say not real good methods. He was nearly afraid to move for fear of doing it wrong. When he was confident enough to move he was absolutely without a doubt the smoothest horse I've ever sat on. I can't speak for Paso Finos but the Peruvian - absolutely they are awesome horses. They're sensible and truly a Cadillac ride. They're tough and typically have a lot of heart and the ones I've worked with weren't silly about flipping out. The typical Peruvian vs the typical QH that I've handled there's not even a contest as to which one - the Peruvian hands down. And Pasos *have* been used for working cattle too.
They're absolutely worth the money.
They are very smooth but often get leg problems later in their life because of the way they place their feet. I would look into this before buying one to make sure down the road, you won't have to pay vet bills.

No comments:

Post a Comment