Saturday, May 22, 2010

Anyone know where I can learn how to barrel race in southeast TN?

I want to learn how to barrel race for max. 200 dollars. But where and who can teach me? Any sites?
Answers:
Are you wanting to learn at a competitive level, or are you just wanting to learn for the fun of it?? If you are wanting to learn for the fun of it. You may be able to find a barrel racer that would be willing to work with you maybe even for free, but, if you are wanting to learn how to barrel race in a completive scene, Im afraid you'll have to pay much more than 200 dollars.
I recommend that you log onto http://www.barrelhorseworld.com... and from there, go to the message boards. Make a post in the Barrel Talk section and you might be able to find someone to help you in your area.
The next thing you can do is learn more about barrel racing, your question in itself is novice. I hate if that sounds rude or anything but it's my honesty. Barrel Racers are athletes. Most of the girls and women that you see running at barrel races have been running barrels since they were small girls, and they are STILL learning the ins and outs of barrel racing. Its a constant lesson. Even for the worlds NFR ladies, they are constantly learning about their riding and their horses by watching tapes of their runs over and over again in order to see where and how they can improve. You can't just get on and run, your mind always has to be at work.
If you want to get competitive, find a trainer. There is not really a thing as barrel racing lessons. There IS a thing as barrel racing training though. This takes time, effort, and ALLOT of work.
Most people think barrel racing is running your horse as fast as you can around three cans and then running back as fast as you can but it is much more involved. Your trainer will start you on the basics, like flex and circles and figure 8's, Then you'll get into rating and setting up your horse , where to look, where to head, how to sit, where your hands should be, where your legs should be, when to kick, when not to kick, when to sit up and when to stay seated, how much direct and indirect rein pressure to utilize, how to keep your body over your horse and the list goes on...
I recommend picking up an old fashioned copy of Sharon Camarillo's Barrel Racing Book printed by Western Horseman. That book, will set everyone on the right path to really understanding and learning the basics for both horse and rider.
In Response to your Edit:
Hey, I'm gonna copy this from an another I answer I just answered.. If you need any help whatsoever with barrel and finding someone let me know. I might be able to find someone who can take you in as an apprentice.
Hi! If you want to run barrels start trying to attend some of your local rodeos and barrel races. You can log onto http://www.NBHA.com to find races in your area or you can log onto http://www.barrelhorseworld.com... as well. You can decide if you like the Barrel Racing scene or the Rodeo scene and then move forward from who to contact from there. I personally prefer rodeo because I find that sitting at a barrel race all day waiting to be on deck is boring but that's just my opinion on the matter! Both have thier pros and cons.
But anyhow,
A good place to start is by getting into contact with the barrel racers in your area and see if you can find someone who would be willing to take you under their wing (You can do a Barrel Racer search for people in your area on Barrel Horse World).
I haul with allot of ladies who don't mind having an apprentice underneath them, myself included. I have two girls that I work with right now. They follow me, use some of my older horses to practice their own patterns and they learn how barrel racing as sport works. Eventually they will start exhibition off of my more seasoned horses to get the feel of barrel racing competitively . Then they get their own horse and I will become their coach or trainer.
What I learned from and what I used to learn from was a book by Sharon Camarillo printed by Western Horseman called Barrel Racing. The book provides all of the insight you will ever need about the basics of barrel racing. Sharon's was one of the first books on barrel racing ever printed, and all other barrel racing books printed thereafter as well as the different training techniques have followed her suit. I was given a copy when I was 7 years old and I still use the same book in my runs and in my training practices with my horses. It's the Bible to barrel racing. I know allot of women admire Sharon Camarillo as a Barrel Racer. She is one of the greats.
Here's a link to where you can purchase the book:
http://www.amazon.com/barrel-racing-west...
The next thing you might want to do, is log onto some of the barrel racing sites like http://www.WPRA.com or Barrel Horse World, and get yourself a little more submerged in the sport before you go out and buy a barrel racer since the prices for a finished barrel horse reach well over the $60,000 mark. If you need help in finding a barrel horse in your area or anywhere in the country I can help you with that since barrels are my specialty and I maintain allot of contacts in the industry.
Also, just keep yourself interested by reading literature if you can't find someone to take you underneath them. The internet is your greatest resource if you can't find direct knowledge.
If you need any help whatsoever in finding out more about barrels please let me know and I will do my best to help you as best as possible.
Cheers and Best Wishes!
Source(s):
WPRA Barrel Racer, Trainer and Breeder
Best of Wishes!
www.central4d.com
www.mrbra.com
Check out your local NBHA district, you'll find a group of people there that can help point to you trainers in your area. http://www.nbha.com/districts/dixie/tn.s...
If there is a stable near you you could probably go there. Ask around %26 see if any one else has heard of a stable close by. There should be atleast one. They will teach you how of course, unless its an english stable.

No comments:

Post a Comment