Saturday, May 22, 2010

Anybody Have?

Doe's anybody have a TB horse that they do english and western with would they make good barrel horses. I wanna get a TB and do jumping but yet do barrel racing.
Answers:
Thoroughbred? No. But my bff has not one, but TWO Quarter horse/ Thoroughbred horses. Did you know QH and TB can do almost any discipline? They can flat race, jump, barrel race, steeplechase, show, trail ride, do dressage, do pleasure in english and western. They are extremely versatile, and that makes them very useful. My bff's horse Sugar (17 yrs) just had a filly named Holly (2 1/2 months) and shes gonna show Holly as a baby. But Holly is very fast... I want her to race Holly as a mare or older filly.
I owned an QH that was mostly TB, but got papers because his pop qualified for the ROM thing. He did it all and well and had fun doing it. A lot of people I know had off the track TBs to game with. They really liked them a lot.
I thought u wanted to do English? and were so depressed because u couldnt?? and wanted a English and Western horse? now u want to do barrels and jumping too, just exactly what do u want to do? thats asking too much from one horse to be able to do all. I think It would be confusing.
I have a Tb named Stevie. He does dressage and jumps 4ft byut he is VERY fast. lol. He is great in my dressage saddle, but if i put a western saddle on, off he goes lol. WE have to use a snaffle because that is all he knows. I am hoping to take him to more shows next yr, including Dressage,S/J, and Contesting =]
Hope i have helped =]]
It's possible to do both but if you are going for the championships, i would suggest you pick one and concentrate on that one.
I rode a TB that did barrels previously and moved to our barn. We jumped her, however she was very difficult to ride! She would seriously drag you to each fence, which.. is not the way to proper jumping form.
I know a English/Western horse who does everything but I do english and I jump my Thoroughbred horse Nick and jumping is soo fun but hard and worth all the pain but i dont know much about western so wait for more answers about western riding
one of my trainers bought a just- off- the- track tb and gamed him while her own gaming horse was pregnant, but the horse didn't like gaming so she sold him. if he did like gaming i think she would have kept him. he was good but didn't enjoy it. tb's are fast and slim making them ok for barrels. she sold him to a family who rides english. surprisingly for a racer, he was very calm and i rode him and my friend who has little riding experience rode him too without any kind of trouble.
p.s gaming includes barrels.
I have seen TB's in western, but they are smaller than the average TB. I would say if the TB is small and stocky enough, then they could be fairly successful at both barrells and jumping. But if you want a breed that could easily do both, then get a quarter horse, appaloosa, or arabian. Those breeds are much more of an all around breed than a TB.
You could get a Thoroughbred and ride both English and Western. You could get a TB to jump and barrel race.
It does not depend on the breed so much as it does the training. Good luck and have fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment