Monday, May 24, 2010

Apprenticeship in the Omaha area?

I want to volunteer my time to a stable in the Omaha area, but I am coming up against some problems. All I want is to "get my foot in the door" somewhere, but no one seems to have room for free labor at their barn. Am I asking the wrong people/questions? I am not trying to get free board, or free riding lessons. I just want to be around horses and gain some experience through grunt work until I can afford my own horse. Does anyone know of any barns in the Omaha, NE area that could use an extra set of hands for free labor?
Answers:
Quail Run
Pine Ridge
3V Stables
Colby Creek
HETRA
Prairie Gem Stables
5 Star Stables
Splatter Paint Ranch
Maybe look in your phone book and online and call places. Not all of these are in Omaha, but are within around 30 minutes of Omaha I think. Type in "Omaha, NE riding stables" in google and see what you can find. I bet there is more in your phone book.
EDIT: I found a site about Nebraska horse shows and it lists some stables that they have shows at. Maybe you could try calling or emailing some of them. Sorry I am not much of a help because I am getting all this information off websites and I do not actually know if they are looking for any help.
http://www.nebraskahorseshows.com/...
Contact the AQHA and get a list of trainers and breeders in your area. Write a nice generic letter that explains what you are offering and why and then mail it to all of them. I got my first job in the US that way, I wrote to 10 members on the directors board of the AQHA saying I wanted a job etc (mine was obviously paying too) and someone called me in England offering me a job riding reiners. You could also try other associations like Paints etc. I've never known anyone turn down free help. Even on a major TB farm, we had young girls come on weekends, help clean stalls, turn out mares etc. Cosentino Quarter Horses are located in Omaha, just remember to sell yourself and what you can do to them.
Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment