Saturday, May 22, 2010

Anyone have specific info in alsike clover poisoning in horses?

I have some alsike clover in part of my horse pasture. I can identify it by its blooms and the V on the leaf as being alsike and not common clover. I have read articles telling how more than 20% of a horse's diet being this type of clover can cause photosensitivity in horses with alot of white (such as my Paints) and even can cause liver problems and death in high concentrations.
I don't have alot of pasture, and would like my horses to be able to graze that area. Plus, it is impossible to get rid of this plant unless I rip the entire pasture up. Does anyone have really specific info on this problem? For example, is the plant still toxic after it has dried, such as in hay? Is it toxic when the flowers are dried but the plant is still growing, such as it is now in the heat of the summer? My info says it is more dangerous in early spring, why is that?
Anyone with real knowledge on this would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Answers:
here honey check this site its a great site for that..
http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/live...
good luck give your horse or horses a hug for me they are great people
The vet?????
well from my knowlegde the information that have suggests that the only problem you will encounter is a severe sunburn on the white areas with sloughing of the damaged skin. Some horses will have deminished urin output and severe itching. Some will as not eat as much and become distressed.
Just wanted to say ty for asking this, I had no clue about it...
To the one that listed that website, very very good info.
Giving you a star!
That was a great website provided above. I did want to point out that the website said that alsike clover does NOT have a V on it's leaf, but red and white clovers do. I too knew nothing about this. Good luck!
If you haven't had problems before, I wouldn't worry about it too much. I've never heard of alsike clover poisoning, but my horse is a paint and he had photosensitivity issues that caused sores on his lower legs, all of which are white. The vet prescribed Burroughs Solution (it's a clear liquid you swab on) and that cleared it up entirely within a month. So if you notice anything like that, have your vet take a look and ask him about Burroughs Solution. But if you've never had horses on that area before, I don't know what to tell you.

No comments:

Post a Comment