Sunday, August 2, 2009

Any suggestions purchasing wide calf riding boots?

It seems that my years of playing soccer, tennis, and dancing have made me into some sort of freak legged beast. In my 21 years on this earth I have never been concerned about my legs until now...
I'm trying to find tall riding boots for my apparently large calfs. I also have a shorter lower leg, so most of the tall boots that fit my calf width are too tall.
I know there are a lot of custom sites that will solve my problem, but they seem to be all located in the UK, and cost a rediculous amount of money. A lot of the semi-custom sites are more cost efficient, but still dont solve my short calved problem.
Right now my paddocks are working just fine, but I really would like to have some tall schooling boots. My regular show size is a 10, and I'm looking for boots that are are 14-16" tall, and calf widths are between 18.5-20 inches.
Answers:
I laughed when I read your post. I too suffer from "wide calves," a term that gives me a gigantism complex... It comes from running 8 miles every morning in college, and my knees are shot to boot! In all seriousness I generally have to go custom. I just tried to order boots from a catalog and I think the people at Victory Canter are getting really annoyed with me by now over some schooling boots and half chaps! I'm about to return my second item to them... My muscles bulge in some places and in others there are extra pockets of room (for spare change obviously, again kidding).
I had some customs made in Argentina (and you can do the transactions over email and paypal I'm sure) and they were half of what my UK customs cost. I would try googling "custom polo boots." Ask if they can also make dress or field boots and explain how the finish will be different. Usually they can do it.
Otherwise order from a catalog and take it to a cobbler or leather smith and have them bring down the crown/tops of the boot, explain you want to keep the integrity of the top line but fit you. They can also add zippers and gussets and things to make them fit better. It will usually run $100-$200 but each cobbler is different, you may be able to find a good deal. You can always ask a cobbler if they can just do it there, non brand name, I find they quote you quite similarly to what ordering from a well known equestrian custom boot company offers.
Here are a few sites that have wide calf boots:
www.equestriancollections.com
www.gotallyho.com
www.nittanyboots.com
Also Devon Aire has an x-tra wide calf boot.
Devon-airs are pretty cheap, I love Airats - measure your calf at hte widest point with your calf flexed - tight (it gets bigger - or like you ride with your heels down) don't measue too tighly though. Then look in your mags and they should have measurements on them. If you can't find them short - you should though, get the tall ones and go to a leather guy and he can shorten them - I have to have mine shortened and stretched a few times - the leather guy can also stretch your calf area as well
i had this problem, i was offered many boots which just didnt go near me. people told me the only way was to get them made to measure...setting me back almost 拢300...no thanks. i bought leather gaiters, to wear with leather short boots. They are english leather and look and feel fantastic. plus they only cost 拢50!they are made by 'The English Company'
Hi,
my best advice is to find a boot maker and pay to have a set made. It can be a bit more expensive that buying a pair and trying to alter them, but will fit and be comfortable.
I find that altered boots rub. I also use 1/2 chaps or full chaps instead of long boots. That way the long boots last longer.
Good luck.
Been there, done that. I'm itty bitty, on top of it, so getting my show boots as anything less then a complete custom job was an ordeal. The key is an educated sales person. They know all of the ins and outs to getting your boots, and usually know some tricks to getting them at a reasonable cost. I went with a pair of Ariats, ordering them in a short length and wide calf. I have always loved Ariats for the classic look, and they wear well. Break in was reasonable, espeically since I did not go for a high end pair of boots. They have a lot of options, so I would recommend taking a look. Also, think about getting your boots in a back zip, especially if you're going to school in them. Much easier to put on and take off, and then they can be a closer fit to your calf. Of, worse case scenario, take a pair of boots that are a bit tight in to have a zipper installed and voila, extra room in the calf!

1 comment:

  1. I have found it is always worth having a look though some equestrian clearance sections as a wide calf is not to everyones needs. you can get some realy bargains

    ReplyDelete