Sunday, August 2, 2009

Any insite on the Welsh Cob Breed?

What is everyones opinion in regards to Welsh Cobs. I know every horse is different, but what is the experience you all have had with them? I have an opportunity to buy one for my kids to ride, but have never been around the breed before.
I appreciate any insite that you all may have.
Thanks!
Answers:
this breed is a wonderful breed for children and is very popular as a family horse because not only is it small enough for a child to ride it is also very strong and can carry a large man with great ease.
The welsh cob is one of four different types of the welsh family. It is the largest and strongest of the breeds as it was the result of the welsh mountain ponies being crossed with Roman imports such as the Analucian. It became a war horse both carrying mounted men as well as for pulling cannons.
this is a very versitile pony and does very well in both riding and driving and jumps extremely well. these ponies are very brave and kind and come in any color except pinto. and there height only goes up to about 15 hands.
i myself never had a welsh but I have plenty of friends that do and they never seem to buck, kick, or rear which makes them very safe for kids. If the pony is good with kids then I would consider it, but before you buy it make sure to take the kids to see it and ride it and make your judgement from there. If it handles all the petting and is patient with them when they are riding him then I would see no reason not to get it.
have fun!!
I know they are hard to come by. And very pricey.
If it is the right size and built. And it rides good get it.
To me one breed is as good as another.
I love welsh cobs, most are fantastic with kids and i will always fully love the breed. I own a welsh cob cross and i love her as she has the fantastic welsh temperament! all horses are different and it depends on the individual but all the welsh cobs i know are saints. they can be a bit strong,but that also depends on the individual. They are easy to keep, ( in my opinion after spending a fortune just keeping weight on my TBx the past winter!) and all i know are reliable family horses
They are a wonderful breed, a nice size and a personality to match.
Hi,
I share a horse with my dad's friend. He is a 12 year old 15hh Welsh sec D Cob. He has the sweetest temperament, however he is not a novice ride. You do not say how old your children are or how much riding experience they have, if they are older then a Welsh Cob may be the perfect horse for them, however if they are young then they may find it difficult to control the horse as Welsh sec D's are quite strong and can be forward going although I know that not all horses of the same breed are the same. You will have to allow your children to try the horse, and ask them how they feel. They do have excellent temperaments though, and are quite hardy.

No comments:

Post a Comment