Sunday, August 2, 2009

Any ideas on plaiting manes for eventing...?

****PLEASE! Serious answers only!
I am starting combined training with my mare (lower level shows) and I would like to plaite her mane. I know it is not necessary but I think it gives a better look. My question is does it matter which side of the mane the braids are on? Most of the braiding i have seen is all on the right...that would seem awkward since her mane falls on the left. Does it mattter?
Answers:
Right is right for the mane, train it to lie that side by dampening it down and plaiting it but not rolling them up just leave the plaits hanging, leave them in for a few days and it will stay that side as long as you brush it down that side each time. as long as your mares mane is pulled nicely you should get about 10 plaits down her neck, i use the width of the mane comb to get even bunches that i then plait and roll under themselves to make nice tight balls. Happy showing :)
It doesn't matter what side you braid your horse's mane on. This is the owner's preference. As for what type of braiding...my best suggestion is to go to the shows in your area and see what looks the best and is most popular, it changes from region to region. Good luck, and have fun.
It matters. Train her mane to fall on the right. It's been a while since I plaited a mane for event - but I used between 12 and 15 buttons - not loops - depending on the length of the mount's neck - using yarn/twine that matched the mane/tail. No red/white/blue or other silly colors.
I also plaited the tail in a standard french braid. If it was muddy, I added a mud-knot that was stitched in place with matching yarn/twine.
Finally, for all 3 days, I would give the horse checkered haunches - combed a little checkerboard on his haunch using hair styling gel to hold it in place - looks good in the ring.
It depends on what style of riding you do. If in western then it doesn't matter but in classical then top eventers are allways on the left. But it really doesnt matter that much! by the way i think that running plaits look the best!
http://www.raspberryridge.com/runningbra...
but that is just my thoughts! another INTERESTING one is a fishnet plait ( i thins thts what they are called!)
i couldnt find a pic but they are bunches attacked together at the ends so that they almost look like a lace curtain!
have fun!
the braids go on the side the mane naturally falls- in your horse's case, the left.(you aren't penalized any for this) for eventing, button braids are normally used.

No comments:

Post a Comment