Sunday, August 2, 2009

Any links for cheap stall mats?

I need links for some nice, cheap but lasting stall mats. Please, share your good links, or advise me if you have at least four to sell.
Answers:
Tractor supply has some nice ones and were reasonably priced. I don't put mats in my stalls but I am looking at getting another layer in my new trailer for the longer trips and I so far, those are the ones I have picked out.
look up stall skins. Theyre cheap and allow moisture to go right though, keeping the stalls cleaner.
I go to a summer patio furniture store. The ones for swimming
pools like astro turf have some reinforced types that last.
I got a roll for 4 feet wide and 40 feet long for only 15.00 It did
last well when properly placed with some border slat matts.
The other one I have luck with is the basket with a fiberglass
wire sort of like a mule matt to prevent bucking. These smell
good like pineapple or plum. http://www.racinghorses.com
I bought some cheap stall mats for my stall, and it was a waste of my money. They were too light and they moved against each other in the stall when my horse walked. Therefore I'd end up with them buckled at one end, and over lapped on the other. My horse would trip on the raised edge, and pee would leak on the blank sides.
It was not a good investment in money. I had to take them out and do something else.
So don't be too much in a rush to get the cheapest product there is. You'd probably be better with packing clay in the stall and using extra bedding than really poor mats.
Good luck and if you find the perfect product for a good price, let me know!
Look out for farm auctions or agricultural sales - they usually have them there and the used ones are generally quite cheap. ( the ones used in cow stalls are very light and the horses will move them too easily though so try to avoid that sort.)
An alternative that I have used with one horse ( who tends to move the mats) is used conveyor belting - it's extremely tough and hard wearing and you can usually get it for free if you can find somewhere that's installing new. It is, however, very heavy and awkward to move.
Do you have any industries in your area? Call them up and see if they have any conveyer belts they want to throw away. Once they get worn, they usually toss them out. I have gotten bunches of them over the years. They are great and usually free. The down side is most of them come in about 40 feet!

No comments:

Post a Comment